When winter weather strikes, signs of ice damming can appear on a roof of a home. Such ice buildup on the roof in Calgary can be extremely damaging. Not only will they destroy the exterior of your home, but they can also cause a significant amount of mould and other inner damage to the ceiling and walls. For this reason, it is important to take the necessary steps to prevent ice damming and repair any damage they may cause.
When you first notice an ice buildup on edge of the roof, it may be difficult to pinpoint where the issue is. This makes it even more relevant to think about ice damming repair in Calgary.
- You may spread a chemical ice-melt product that will melt the ice dam.
- You can also use a mallet to break the ice dam. But be sure to do this only after a thorough inspection of your property and the area surrounding the ice dam.
- The best way to deal with an ice dam is to hire ice damming services in Calgary. This is the safest and fastest way to solve the problem.
Hire someone to fix ice damming?
If you notice these signs, it's important to hire a professional ice dam removal service in Calgary. Do-it-yourself ice dam removal may be possible, but it's risky for your roof and could cause falling and injuries. Hiring a professional for the ice dam removal job is the best way to avoid a costly emergency.
Many ice dams are dangerous, and it's better to leave the work to someone with the right training and insurance.
- First of all, make sure the company has insurance and licenses. Choosing an ice dam removal in Calgary that is not insured and does not have licenses can lead to a potentially disastrous situation.
- In addition, if they're not properly insured, you could be liable for medical bills if an accident happens.
- Ask your friends and familiars for advice on the best services.
- Ice dam removal services vary in cost. You can hire roofing contractors, or home insulation companies who specialize in ice damming attics. The price for this work will depend on the difficulty of the job, the amount of snow and ice on the roof, the type of material used, and where it is located.
- You can compare roof snow removal contractors in Calgary by doing some background checks on the Fee4Bee platform. Look through their references, and check their rating.
In an emergency situation, homeowners can try melting the ice dams using a hose and warm water. However, it is better to call Calgary ice dam removal professionals.
Ice damming prevention in Calgary
Ice dams can cause major damage to your roof, gutters, and interior walls. A roof rake is a good tool to have on hand. Fortunately, there are methods to prevent ice damming.
The best solution is to keep the roof cool, which will prevent snow from melting and ice damming in gutters and roofs from forming. Proper attic ventilation and insulation are essential in preventing ice dams. Often, ice dams are the result of improperly insulated attics. This is because the air in the attic is warmer than outside. As a result, the melting snow flows down the roof and freezes as it reaches the coldest part of the roof, which is usually the last section.
Another way to prevent ice damming damage is to install heated cables along the roofline. These cables will equalize the temperature on the roof, and provide equal melting. These cables should be installed in a zigzag pattern, well before any major storm. Although this solution is temporary, it will help you avoid the problem in the future.