Hiring a contractor can be an incredibly difficult task. Every person who tried understands that if something will go wrong it will cost you a lot of time, money, and nerves. Of course, you can just go to google and type something like “contractors near me”, but nobody can’t guarantee that the result of the work will suit you. So let’s have a look at the small and simple rules and answer the question “How I can hire a nice local contractor near me?”.
- searching on the internet - the simplest and unreliable way to hire a contractor. You can choose one of many, but quality stays as a question.
- recommendation - you can ask your neighbors, friends, or coworkers if somebody has hired a local contractor and was satisfied with the work.
- Fee4Bee website - you can use our web platform and hire the best local contractor near you. Your choice can be based on many factors, such as rating, reputation, feedbacks, list of finished projects, prices, and location.
What types of contractors do I need?
For example, you need to hire a general contractor in Calgary. But can you be sure that this is the position you’re looking for? There are a lot of types of contractors. Based on your tasks and the size of your project you might need such personal:
General contractor - a person who manages all problems of a huge project, usually he solves such tasks as supervising and hiring the subcontractors, scheduling inspectors, and getting building permits.
Specialty contractor - a person who makes the installation of specific products, such as cabinets or plumbing fixtures.
Architect - a person who can make a design project for your new home, or help you with the renovation of the old one.
designer or design/build contractor - a person who makes sketches and build projects.
What I must know before hiring a contractor?
First of all, you must understand that quick contractors not usually equal to quality contractors so before hiring you must get some information about the person, his portfolio, and your own needs and expectations about the project:
- Get the estimates from the competitors - seems to be easy and understandable, before hiring a contractor you need to know if his costs and quality are acceptable for you.
- Ask for a portfolio - a person who is familiar with similar projects has better chances to provide a nice project for you than a guy who hasn’t done such projects before.
- Building permission - almost all build jobs need to have permission. Ask if your contractor can help you with getting all the needed documents and permission to start a building process
- Subcontractors - ask if the project will be done by the contractor or he will hire subcontractors. If he will hire somebody you must have a quick look on them to understand if you’re satisfied with this guy/company.
- Insurance certificates - If you want to sleep well and do not think about the losses that can happen through a building process all the contractors must have insurance certificates that will cover property damage.
- References - if you’re still unsure about the candidate you can ask for a few references. You can ask the contacts of the owners of the best or similar projects to yours. Then you can ask if they are satisfied with the contractor’s job, or even ask to see a result on the picture or live.
Sign a written contract
A well done written contract will save you from time and money losses during and even after the building process. You must make it as clear and concise as possible. All the aspects of a building process must be covered. Any contract must contain answers for such questions:
- who? - name, address, and any other personal information needed in your state of your contractor
- where? - projects address
- what? - information about the project, how it looks like now, and how it must be when the job will be done, a list of needed works, and materials
- when? - a project schedule that must contain the start and end date of the whole project and each of its stages
- cost? - all costs for materials and work must be added here
If you correctly describe all this in your contract, then you will not have any problems either during or even after the project.
In conclusion, we must say that hiring a contractor is a complex and responsible process. But if you approach it prepared and wisely, you will certainly achieve your goal and be proud of the result. The Fee4Bee team will be happy to help you with this.