Best way to insulate a house
House thermal insulation can be used interchangeably with "comfortable living". It is necessary for every residence if you want to stay warm in cold weather and the right temperature during the hottest summer.
Insulation house slows heat loss through the building materials and prevents heat outflow in the winter months. This is a huge advantage to your budget since it keeps warm air within your house and prevents heat loss to the outside. These advantages help your central air conditioning unit run much more efficiently and therefore reduce the amount of energy your heating system consumes to maintain your house comfortable.
House insulation options
To completely protect a home from heat loss, it is worth installing an insulation supply for the house wherever possible. Most often in Canada, homeowners use:
- Insulation for crawl space under the house, first of all, is necessary for the moisture does not enter the house through the floor. Often the crawl space has nothing besides the ground on the floor which is known to evaporate a lot of moisture. If insufficient ventilation, the moisture will accumulate on the walls and cause mold. Under-house insulation helps to prevent the possible negative influence. Spray foam insulation under house proves itself as the best product for this purpose, but not the cheapest one. If you are looking for cheaper raised house floor insulation, then mineral wool may be an alternative. It has great fire resistance abilities but does not protect against the appearance of mold, so concrete structures need to be processed additionally
- Concrete block house insulation. Concrete blocks have many useful properties in construction, but they have high thermal conductivity, therefore you will need to make concrete house wall insulation additionally. Cinder block house insulation is most often needed in the basement since usually concrete walls have not any outside house insulation. This is most commonly done with rigid foam - large, lightweight panels that can be installed directly onto the concrete surface.
- Outside insulation for the house protects from the effects of weather, humidity, wind, sun, attacks from pests. There are at least several exterior house insulation options. Depending on many factors, such as the budget of the project, the preservation of the facade, climatic conditions, you can apply one or another option. The most popular are installing of sheet insulation to outside house and exterior house insulation under siding.
- Adding insulation to an old house. In many cases, insulating outside walls of an old house is impossible, as this would destroy their visual appeal. As a result, you have damp walls and drafts. To avoid such problems, insulating interior walls of old house options are available.
- Passive house insulation is one of those things that allow consuming a minimum of energy, even in cold regions where heating is required. As a rule, this is complex whole-house insulation, which, in combination with a heat-recovery ventilation system, allows you to maintain the climate in the house without high costs. It will be quite expensive to install but will pay off in lower bills later. This includes passive house wall insulation which does not create thermal bridges between passive house foundation insulation and passive house attic insulation.
House insulation types
A variety of modern technologies are used to reduce heat loss in the house. The efficiency of each house insulation material is different, therefore, a combination of types of house insulation is often used to equalize the budget, space loss, and heat saving.
Most often used:
- House foam insulation. This material applies onto the surface as a house spray insulation and creates a layer that does not allow air to pass through. Spray foam house insulation is used inside the roof of various types of buildings, in the walls of frame houses, as it has good adhesive properties and does not load the structure.
- Blown-in insulation is a large volume of small particles that fill the space between the partitions, thereby creating an insulating layer.
- Foam board insulation is a kind of panels that are usually attached to the outside of the building and prevent the penetration of cold air inside. For the installation of house insulation foam boards, special fasteners are required, and gaps between them are usually joined with spray foam.
- House wrap insulation uses as a finishing layer together with other types of insulation. This technology minimizes thermal bridges, which are often seen at seams and joints, such as under a roof.
Hiring house insulation installers
After gathering information about methods of installing insulation on a house in Canada, it's time to find house insulation companies that are available in your city. Remember, all contractors are different and work differently.
You can start by asking friends and family - many homeowners face the process and can give advice on suitable contractors for your project. Explore your friends’ and neighbors’ experience with different contractors and the quality of their house insulation services. It may be surprised what you learn. It may also help you to choose a suitable house insulation type for your home.
Then you can go to search the internet. By googling “house insulation companies near me” you will find a lot of local offers. Choose the Fee4Bee hiring platform from search results. The website allows you not only to compare house insulation prices but also to choose the performer that has plenty of satisfied customers.
Once you've narrowed down the list to a few companies, you can ask them some questions. A good house insulation contractor will be able to help out and may even give you a bit of advice about the best insulation for the house or to determine how to insulate an old house with no insulation.
Before you do your choice, make sure the company is licensed and bonded. This is important because you don't want to hire an incompetent contractor that can't provide quality service. The worst thing that can happen is improperly installed insulation for a house that creates long-term leakage under the insulation layer. This will slowly destroy your home.
How much does insulation cost?
After you've done your research and have a list of house insulation services contractors it's time to make a final decision. Ask each contractor how he plans on getting the job done and for a quote on the total house insulation cost. Don't be afraid to ask for a price by the messaging or ask to estimate the scope of work.
Remember, there is no set price for proper insulation, each job will require a different method and cost. A house foam insulation cost in some cases will be more expensive than exterior house wrap and foam board insulation. And also sometimes cheap under house insulation can be a better option than spray foam insulation under the house, which has a high cost.
By staying informed on all of these factors, you're going to end up with a house that's more convenient and comfortable and one that uses less energy than average to heat up your home!