Why do you need to winterize an air conditioner unit?
When the summer comes to an end, the winter air conditioning service goes to the second plan. But a good homeowner knows the importance of keeping appliances in good condition. The Winter air conditioning system requires proper maintenance like any other device.
You need to make your air conditioning winter cleaning every year. This will help you avoid dust particles accumulating inside your air conditioner and will keep your air conditioner from malfunctioning.
When using, dust and condensation build-up inside. It must be cleaned to prevent damaging the equipment. For wintertime, additional protection from debris and moisture is making by air conditioner winter cover. But the truth is, your air conditioner will last much longer if maintenance correctly and save you money on buying a new one.
What is necessary to winterizing air conditioning units?
The most basic that you can do by yourself is to turn off the device and clean the case from dust and debris. Clean the unit itself and the area around from leaves and dust, because they attract insects that are looking for where to spend the winter.
But there are some tasks in the winterizing air conditioner units that are wisely left to a specialist. This may include checking its filters, coolant, and check its motor as well. The full list to be checked:
- Inspection of its cooling coils. Any brown spots or brownish powder coating on the outside of the cooling coils may be a sign of problems.
- Checking up all components, cracks, rust, leaks, or other damage to the tubings. Turning off the thermostat. Your air conditioner should be clean, which means that you should replace all the filters. This will help you avoid the buildup of dust and dirt and it will also help your air conditioner to be in perfect condition when winter comes.
- Drying the unit. If moisture gets inside, it can lead to corrosion. Also, if the water remains in drainage tubes it can burst in the cold. Therefore, it needs to be drained. The contractor will do this with a special air-blower.
- To cover air conditioner winter may only with a special plastic or vinyl covers. They must withstand the wind and keep moisture away from the outside. If you do not have a special cover, it is better to leave the AC without one.
- Perhaps the most difficult thing in winterizing air conditioners is to isolate the pipes and tubes. It can get moldy if water goes inside. So this task requires a careful approach. Insulation is usually done with plastic foam.
Check your air conditioning in winter, whether the cover has torn off, whether the pipe insulation has been broken after the storm? It won't take long but save you a lot of money on repairs.
To cover, or not to cover, that is the question
There are many opinions on whether air conditioner cover for winter. Some guidelines say that this should not be done, while others argue that it is necessary. When answering the question, “should I cover my AC unit in the winter”, it is important to consider the model itself.
The need for an AC cover for winter can be found out from the manual that is usually attached to the device. So that is true that many air conditioners are designed for harsh winter conditions and do not need air conditioner covers for winter in Canada.
Only after determining whether the system is designed for insulation can we say with confidence how to winterize an air conditioner.
Types of AC and how to winterize it
AC are not all created the same, so before ordering the maintenance service for air conditioning in the winter, you need to determine exactly how the process should go. AC systems function in different ways, which means that they each require their own service:
- Winterize window air conditioner. Make sure the device working properly. Let it work in heating mode. This will allow you to dry all the internal parts of the equipment. Dust should be removed from the outside using a damp cloth. The filters should be rinsed to remove any dust and dirt. After the window air conditioner cover for winter, the system must be completely de-energized and the batteries removed from the remote control to avoid accidental start-up.
- Winterize wall air conditioner. The contractor will pump coolant to the outdoor unit, insulate and AC cover for winter the outdoor unit, and blow out all drainage systems to prevent bursting in frost. In the process of preparing to winterize air conditioning units, the tasker will carry out professional cleaning of the air conditioner and block the possibility of turning on the air conditioner.
- Winterizing the central air conditioner requires the removal of leaves, twigs, and dust. Flush the unit with a hose. Dry and turn off the power. Install rubber or plastic foam insulation on all tubes, making sure no water gets in. The central air conditioner covers for winter with a waterproof cover.
Now that you know some of the air conditioner winterization tips, you need to remember it as a reminder when the season starts to come. It will also serve as your guide in taking care of your air conditioner.